1.31.2011

Alma mater matters?

So, I just received my third rejection in as many years from my alma mater for an assistant professor position within their film department. I always thought that your alma mater was preferential in looking at you as an option for hire. I understand I may not have the requisite screening record they may be looking for or the teaching experience, but we all know that's a catch-22. I do know this, they aren't going to find anyone with more passion than me and well, that's their loss. I'll probably hold off on reapplying for a few years if they ever advertise in that time frame. I realize my acceptance or even consideration as a candidate for that job was a long shot, considering there are faculty there that know me, and I'm sure they've gone to bat for me, proves that the politics will probably never allow them to consider me. It looks like I need to search elsewhere for suitable employment if I plan on heading back west to live, to escape CNY and its gloomy gray skies. Although, I realize one of my letters of recommendation wasn't sent through their electronic portal, so I wonder if because of that I wasn't considered, an incomplete application? *scratches head* If that was the case I desperately need to find another reference. It would have been nice to work on a campus and within a community I adore, but that's neither here nor there. Tomorrow will be here soon enough and that said, so will the possibilities! Dare to dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment